Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Quick 24 Hours

For those who know me, you know that I am not much
of a 'spur of the moment girl.'
I wish I was sometimes. I wish I could just have a quick thought and go with it. But nope...not this one. I have to mentally prepare for things. Especially trips. I like to know and plan for most details. What I am packing for my girls (usually Jas too) and myself, who's watching our critters, what time we're leaving, what time we'll get home, what we'll do while we're there, etc, etc, etc. Doesn't sound like much fun, does it. And all this planning usually begins days in advance.

OK, cut to the chase. We had been planning a trip to Moses (Jas' hometown) for weeks. Jas was taking our ladies fishing on Opening Day with his lifelong friend, Uncle Matt. And since Jas' parents were in the process of building a home there, we hadn't had much quality time with them either, and we were all looking forward to a great family-weekend. A had been talking about seeing Grandma Jill and Oobie Doobie (grandpa) all week. Imagine my surprise when Jas told me Thursday night that he was going to have to work Saturday.
(There goes all of my mental preparedness :-) Oh!! A was going to be dissapointed and sad
(I could already see the clenched fists with frustration).

After doing some quick thinking (and planning), I thought to myself, 'this doesn't mean WE (the girls and I) can't go.' So Friday morning, I made the call to Jill and Oobie that plans had changed. So on Friday night, after a quick packing and hugs to Jas, the girls were buckled and we were on the road with a 3-hour drive ahead of us.

We do our best driving at night. Cause 'THE GIRLS SLEEP!' Aren't they cute?










And after getting a little sleepy, I made the executive decision to stop at Starbucks for a quick Macchiato pick-me-up. OH DELICIOUS! I think I should write Starbucks a Thank-You-Card for helping my girls and I get there safely. Starbucks AND Jas' Aunt Barb. I can call her ANYTIME of day (or night) and she's ready to talk and we talk about it all. We talk flowers, pets, parenting, religion, life-experiances. WE TALK ABOUT IT ALL! And I adore her.

We arrived at about 10:30pm to Grandma and Grandpa's new house. And the girls woke up and were wired. They have only lived there for 3-weeks, so it is still in the process of being furnished. Which basically makes it seem like an open gymnasium. After a few-dozen laps around the girls calmed down and read some books with Grandma and Oobie.

Then it was time for bed.

Had woke early Saturday morning and was yelling, "WA-WA!" Did I mention their new home is right on Moses Lake and all of the bedrooms open straight to the lake. It is very pretty.



After everyone else woke up, it was time to go fishing! Oobie was feeling brave and took both girls and cousin Martin to Blue Lake to catch up with Matt and one of his fishing buddies.
Look at how much fun they had!

They were gone for 6-hours!! I wish I had brought my sewing machine; I could have been very productive.







I love this picture of A.

And the whole time A and Oobie were cleaning the fish, Had was standing by saying, "EEWWW" and "PEEE-YOU!!" What a funny girl!



At around 4pm, some family and friends came over to celebrate a belated-A's birthday and Martin's birthday (his is the day after A's).
It is always so fun to be around everyone. One of my favorite things about Moses, is that we can throw a last-minute BBQ like the best of them. And even though, Matt wasn't BBQ'in (he is the master), everything was delicious.

Here is Aunt Laurel and Had. She is so great. My girls adore her!

Here is the rest of the crowd. Uncle Howard, Matt, and his parents, Tom and Janet, and Tia and Martin.

These are the Root Beer Cupcakes that I baked for Martin and A. Cute Lil Caterpillar!

Then around 7:30ish, the girls were loaded, we gave hugs and we were back on the road!

...Aunt Barbara...you ready to save the World, again (or still?)!

1 comment:

Kay's flowers said...

How fun! I remember short road trips when my kids were little too. Such great memories. Love the pictures.
Kay