Saturday, August 7, 2010

'Peak'-a-Boo

Much to our surprise...last Tuesday Jas took the day off to spend with his girls.

Now the rational side of me thought....PERFECT! We'll get the patio and driveway pressure washed, clean out the garage, wash the cars...heck...I may even get some sewing done.

NAH!! NOPE!!! UH UH!!!

After J and the girls got home from their routine trip to the local donut store, I got them dressed, packed some snacks, grabbed Had's blanket and Zee-Bee (stuffed zebra that she's had since her days at Children's...let's just say it's been well loved).

The Skaug Family was off to do something we'd never done before...go hiking!

Washington State offers endless outdoor recreational activitiese and we opted for a local hike in Enumclaw.

It's known by numerous names by the locals: Mt. Peak, Pinnacle Peak and Mt. Pete.

Nonetheless, we were off for an adventure!

A was excited that at the trailhead she found some foxglove. I had to remind her that the trail is unlike our back yard and we aren't really supposed to pick the flowers; we are supposed to leave them for other hikers to enjoy also.


Had looking all geared up and ready to go...and Jas looking not to eager that I brought the camera...'Hello J, how else and I supposed to blog about our adventure if I don't have the camera?'
P.S. This is the last time that you'll see Had in the backpack...she soon realized that it wasnt nearly as much fun to 'ride' as it is to 'run' like her big sissy.

I do recognize that this picture is blurry...but that's what you get when you have an over eager 5-year-old venturing out on her first hike.


Had convincing J that she is big enough to walk all by herself.

And she's off...


A rare moment when A actually sat still for a photo opportunity.


My girls and I loving nature...and the cool root system of this tree.

"Looks like worms," according to A.

Had holding her own...and keep in mind this is a moderate 2-mile hike with an elevation gain of about 1,000 feet. We passed numerous skilled hikers...most of who commented on Had and her independence.

A and her 'hiking stick.' That girl is notorious for finding special rocks, sticks, pretty leaves, etc.


Another pic of my girls both who are posing like little hams.

Had found a walking stick of her own. She sure does love her big sissy and strives to be and do everything just like her. And while I think this is cute now...I have a feeling that by the time they are 12 and 15...A will not find it nearly as flattering.

Pray for me. PLEASE!!!

A found a downed tree and of course had to be brave and try it out.

Not to be outdone, Had had to give it a try also...but only if dad helped (mom's request).

Look close...see the little blur it was a little chipmunk that we met of the trail. But he was shy and didn't really want his picture taken.

A few from the trail of Enumclaw below...it is the cutest little town...lots of farms, dairys, cafe's, ice cream parlors, etc

We stopped for a snack about half way up...and some sisterly love.


Had sure does love herself some carrots.


After a few minor melt-downs, we finally made it to the top. Now keep in mind...there is no spectacular view...just some fun log benches with LOTS and LOTS of names and initials carved into it. Had thought they were just cozy.


Hey look at that!! We caught him!! Here is our furry little friend...with the help of some Wheat Thins...we got him to pose for a quick picture.


It was such a fun day for our family. We really enjoyed our time together without any distractions.

But if Im being honest here...the hike back down was miserable! And that's probably an understatement. Had insisted on walking (I mean running) down the trail and since I couldn't bear to watch my girl fall and skin her cute lil face, I ended up carrying her down (bonus for mom: extra 25 lbs = extra workout).

Oh! And little Miss Independant A would not hold J's hand and proceeded to slip and fall on her biscuits about every 5th step.

But it was a fun day and although at the time I was thinking I was crazy for thinking that hiking with a 2 year old was a good idea...I would do it again in a second.

2 comments:

DahlHouse Co. said...

Looks like tons of fun! Justin and I want to do this trail sometime. Another fun trail is High Rock Lookout in Ashford...that would be one for just you and Jas though :)

Coleson & Tate said...

Hi! I am excited to 'follow' your cute little family!